Local Talent Pushes To Front At Monday's Harness Racing
Published on August 5 2013 2:38 pm
Last Updated on August 5 2013 2:39 pm
Written by Millie Lange
ALTAMONT -- Local talent came to the front on the second day of harness racing at the Effingham County Fair Monday.
The Big 10 3-Year-Old Filly Pace went to Queen Beatrice in an exciting race. BC's Southern Bell opened up a two length lead and led by a length at the quarter in :31 4/5. Queen Beatrice, owned and trained by Effingham-based David Lohman, went from third to take the lead by two lengths at the half. Queen Beatrice opened up a bigger lead with every stride and came across the finish line in 2:02.
She went the final quarter in 29 seconds to pick up the fifth win in her career, the fourth one this year and also won at Balmoral last year. Queen Beatrice was driven by Darla Martin, the only female to win the driver's championship at the Effingham County Fair.
Altamont High School graduates Bart Seales and Dennis Beccue own Party Cove who ended up claiming the Big 10 3-Year-Old Colt Pace in the third race of the day. Party Cove went to the inside spot for driver Tom Simmons while Fox Valley Dylan went to the outside and the two went neck and neck. But Party Cove took the lead and ended up winning by five lengths in 2:01 3/5.
The win was the sixth victory this year for Party Cove. Seales lives in Mason and Beccue now lives in Oklahoma but the pair teamed up for ownership.
Then in the Filly & Mare Pace, Division I, Newton's J.D. Finn took Wild Berry Muffler to the win in an exciting finish. Fox Valley Bravura took the early lead and was still showing the way at the half but only four lengths covered all five racers at the three quarter mile mark. It was a wide open run into the stretch. Wild Berry Muffler came on to take the lead and win by 3/4 length in 2:04 2/5.
In this race, there was a dead heat finish by Miss Kelley Lynne and Fox Valley Bravura, so both took fourth.
Then in the fifth race, the second division of the Filly & Mare Pace, Altamont native Kyle Husted took Prosper to the outside and the lead by the quarter mile marker. Prosper kept the lead and finished up with the victory by a length in 2:01. Husted, a 21-year-old, drove Prosper to the win for Fair Meadow Farm of Altamont. His mother Pamela Coleman trains the filly.
In the opening race of the day, the Big 10 2-Year-Old Trot, Bands Alexis took the lead and opened it up to three lengths but broke stride. Dancinthebreeze led by 1 1/2 lengths but Bessiebearcat drove on the outside and ended up with the victory down the stretch in 2:12 for driver Eric Collier who is the grandson of trainer Delbert Burkett.
Racing will continue Tuesday with post time scheduled for 1 p.m.
Effingham County Fair
Big 10 2-Year-Old Trot
1. Bessiebearcat (Eric Collier), 2. Dancinginthebreeze (David Fagan), 3. Vin (Thomas Graham Jr.), 4. Bands Alexis (Michael Cox)
Time -- :32 4/5, 1:06 2/5, 1:40 1/5, 2:12
Big 10 3-Year-Old Filly Pace
1. Queen Beatrice (Darla Martin), 2. Cranberry Muffler (J.D. Finn), 3. Nice Party (Jared Finn), 4. Cruisin' The Nite (Michael Cox), 5. Bc's Southern Bell (Michael Johnson)
Time -- :31 4/5, 1:02 3/5, 1:33, 2:02
Big 10 3-Year-Old Colt Pace
1. Party Cove (Tom Simmons), 2. Sadies Art (Tom T. Tetrick), 3. Fox Valley Dylan (Jared Finn), 4. Gram Legend (Thomas Graham Jr.), 5. Slapyomomma (Jared Finn), 6. Boss Henry (J.D. Finn)
Time -- :29 4/5, 1:01 2/5, 1:33 1/5, 2:01 3/5.
Filly & Mare Pace
1. Wild Berry Muffler (J.D. Finn), 2. Mach Made Her (Earl Avenatti Jr.), 3. Yankee Road (Dakota Birch), 4. (deadheat) Miss Kelley L ynne (Harold Finn Jr.), Fox Valley Bravura (Jared Finn)
Time -- :32, 1:04, 1:35 1/5, 2:04 2/5.
Filly & Mare Pace
1. Prosper (Kyle Husted), 2. Grannie Nannie (David Fagan), 3. Willing Heart (Harold Finn Jr.), 4. Fox Valley Bonita (Jared Finn)
Time -- :30 1/5, 1:01 3/5, 1:31 3/5, 2:01.