Effingham Unit 40 School Registration
Published on July 12 2012 5:17 pm
Last Updated on July 14 2013 12:07 pm
Written by Greg Sapp
The Effingham Community School District #40 has announced the following school registration information for the 2012-13 school year:
Registration for all Unit 40 students will be in the Effingham High School Cafetorium.
All Unit 40 students entering Early Childhood Special Education through 8th grade will register
during the following family registration times:
• Last name begins with the letter A through G should register on Wednesday, August 1, from Noon to 6:00 p.m.
• Last name begins with the letter H through P on Thursday, August 2, from Noon to 6:00 p.m.
• Last name begins with the letter Q through Z on Friday, August 3, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
All students entering grades 9 through 12 will register during the following times:
• On Wednesday, August 8
Seniors from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Juniors from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Sophomores from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
• On Thursday, August 9
Freshmen, new students, and multiple-student families and any student that didn’t register on Tuesday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Freshman will need a physical.
Parking will be assigned for high school students at the following times:
• On Friday, August 10
Seniors from 10:00 to 11:15 a.m.
Juniors from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Sophomores from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Physicals: All students entering Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) for the first time, kindergarten, sixth, and ninth grades, and those transferring from out of the District will need physical exams before the beginning of the 2012 13 school year. Appointment cards will not be accepted for physical exams. Ninth grade pupils may not use athletic physical examinations to fulfill the ninth grade physical examination requirements.
• Immunizations: Immunizations must be up to date. The usual boosters needed include:
DTaP, Polio, and MMR for kindergartners, and Tdap for 6th & 9th graders. Also required is a chicken pox vaccine for ECSE through 6th grade; HIB (haemophilus influenza B) for ECSE; and Hepatitis B Vaccine (series of three shots) for ECSE, and 5th through 12th graders. Parents with questions should contact the Health Dept. at 342 9237. The Effingham County Health Department offers a shot clinic every Wednesday from 9 AM – 6 PM.
• Lead Screening: ECSE or kindergarten students must have a lead assessment when they first enter school.
• Vision Exam: All Kindergarten students and any student transferring into an Illinois school for the first time must have a vision exam.
• Dental Exams: Dental exams are required for all students entering kindergarten, 2nd, and 6th grades. Sarah Bush Lincoln Dental Services will be available at registration to do dental
• Pictures: Students in grades 6 through 12 should be present at registration to have their student ID and yearbook pictures taken; students must follow school handbook dress code for this picture. ECSE-5th grade student pictures will be taken at their buildings at a later date.
• Kindergarten and New ECSE: Parents should bring a copy of their child's birth certificate for their child's school records.
Children entering Kindergarten for the 2012-13 school year must be five years of age
on or before September 1, 2012.
o Parents of incoming ECSE students received a letter in June inviting their children to
Effingham Community Unit District #40 Schools Fee Schedule –2012-13
Grade Category Fee
K-12 Curriculum Fee 50.00
K-12 Health Services 15.00
K-12 Student ID Cards 4.00
K-12 Student Reach Fee 3.00
5-12 Handbook Fee 6.00
5-12 Band Lab Fee 50.00
5-12 Chorus Lab Fee 26.00
6-12 Lab Fee 30.00
9-12 Ag Careers Class 25.00
9-12 Health Occupations Class 100.00
6-12 Lyceum 2.00
6-12 Physical Education Shirt or Shorts (each) 8.00
6-12 Extra Curricular Fee (Per Activity) 30.00
Driver Education 50.00
5-12 Student use of School Band Instrument
During School Year
All Milk (Per Half Pint) .30
K-8 Lunch 2.10
9-12 Lunch 2.35
Adult Lunch 2.60
K-8 Breakfast 1.60
9-12 Breakfast 1.70
CAFETERIA BILLING SYSTEM: All Unit 40 Schools are on a cafeteria billing system. Because this is a pre-payment plan, parents of students at all District schools can pay for a week or more in advance at registration. A student will be allowed to charge a total of four meals. After that point, the student must bring a sack lunch and will not be able to participate in the
school breakfast or lunch program until their cafeteria account is paid in full.
SCHOOL REACH: Parents are to give ONE phone number where they can be contacted for school emergencies or cancellations.
FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS:
Thursday, August 16, 2012 is the first day of attendance for ECSE-12th grade students. Students will attend classes until 2:00 PM. Lunch will be served. Buses will transport students to and from school, with the exception of the Early Learning Center students & Central ECSE students, who should be brought by parents/guardians to and from school (please refer to parent letter given at registration for details). Note: Edgewood Kindergarten students may ride the bus.
Friday, August 17, 2012 students will attend until 2:00 PM, and lunch will be served. Early Learning Center will have regular busing transportation on this day. The ECSE students will follow their AM/PM schedules (except the ESCE PM classes will have a shorter session).
Monday, August 20 is a full day of attendance.
For additional information, please contact: Mark E. Doan, Superintendent, 2803 S. Banker St.
PO Box 130 Effingham, Illinois 62401 Telephone: 217/540-1502