First Presbyterian to Celebrate 150th Anniversary on Sunday
Published on September 3 2014 8:20 pm
Last Updated on September 3 2014 8:20 pm
Written by Greg Sapp
Nineteen years before the City of Effingham was founded, Presbyterians were gathering in Effingham County. The first meetings in 1834 were held in a home south of present day Funkhouser. For many years the group continued to meet in homes in Ewington and Effingham. Now, 150 years later, First Presbyterian Church is inviting the community to enjoy an Anniversary Celebration including music, food, children’s activities and worship this Sunday, September 7th.
Effingham Presbyterians constructed their first church building at the corner of West Fayette and Maple Streets in 1870. After 40 years of use, a new brick building was erected on the same site in 1910. This church still stands there today as the home of Calvary Baptist Church.
In 1967, the present First Presbyterian Church building was dedicated on the corner of Temple and Maple streets. An education wing was added in 1994. In 2010, the church expanded outdoor activities with a Noah’s Ark Playground and an Outdoor Pavilion. Continuing the trend in 2011, many trees, plants and flowers donated by members became the foundation for the professionally landscaped “Inspiration Garden”. Today, Inspiration Garden includes a pedestrian bridge and walking path through a natural area located on the church grounds.