CO Detectors Set to Expire


Published on April 14 2014 4:02 pm
Last Updated on April 14 2014 4:02 pm
Written by Greg Sapp

The Effingham Fire Department has seen an influx of CO calls within the last couple of months due to expired CO detectors.

State law known as the Carbon Monoxide Act was passed in 2006 and went into effect in 2007.  It requires each residence that uses fossil fuels for energy or has an attached garage to install Carbon Monoxide alarms within 15 feet of any rooms used for sleeping.  

Most of the detectors installed in 2007 had a seven-year expiration date.  They are now activating with a "chirping" sound that alerts home owners to replace the detector.  These particular units are showing a 2006 or 2007 manufacture date that can be found on the back side of the detector.  If the alarm has expired it will "chirp"; if the detector is activating due to the presence of CO it will alarm a different distinct tone.

Carbon Monoxide, often referred to as CO, is a colorless, odorless gas that is found in combustion fumes that are produced by vehicle engines, gas ranges and gas heating systems.  Symptoms include headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion and even death.

The Effingham Fire Department urges citizens to contact their department if they are unsure of any activation of their CO detectors.  The Department strongly believes in a "better safe than sorry" policy.  The Fire Department possesses monitors that can check the home for the presence of CO within a matter of minutes.

For more information, phone the fire department at 342-2555.