Teutopolis Ends St. Anthony's Undefeated Season in Regional Championship Game


Published on October 14 2016 11:21 pm
Last Updated on October 17 2016 9:46 am
Written by Greg Sapp

The St. Anthony Bulldogs went through their regular season undefeated, with just three ties. Their great season came to an end Friday night, though, losing 3-2 in the regional championship match to Teutopolis at Teutopolis.

Teutopolis High School edged Effingham St. Anthony 3-2 to win the championship of its own Class 1A Soccer Regional Friday.

The Bulldogs tallied the first goal as Moises Lemus scored midway through the opening half. But T-town came back on a goal by Ludvig Landgren on a free kick to tie the score at 1-1.

Landgren, a Swedish foreign exchange student, knocked in a second goal and the Shoes took a 2-1 lead. But that didn't last long as St. Anthony's Ryan Kruger was fouled and banged home af ree kick to tie the score again.

Landgren then came back to give the Shoes the victory, finishing out his hat trick.

"It's taken me almost 48 hours to gather and bring myself to sit down and finally put the last thoughts of the season into this story," said St. Anthony Coach Eric Morales. "Every year you have a full new squad and every year you lose your seniors, only to find yourself with a new squad again.  This year, of course,   is no different, new squad, new year, but with the shoes to fill from the season before.  All eyes on the new Bulldogs, to bounce back from a record breaking season.  The question dwindles in every ones mind, how will this year's team stand up to such a performance of last years team.  It's hard to start out the season on a positive note following a wonderful performance, but a good friend (Scott Demers) once told me, live in the moment: concentrate on the present, with no regard to the past or future. (one day, one game at a time) .

Friday's game in Teutopolis was another game for the books. Both teams came to play, both teams battled back and forth, both teams wouldn't let the other go away.  T-town held the upper hand this night and got the victory, its not something you can prepare for, but only grasp.  Every coach always wants to or wishes to win the game and advance to the next level.  My hats off to The Teutopolis Wooden Shoes on their victory, they played a great game.

"St. Anthony still finished with a great success in itself. They walked away with yet another record for the books, as the only team to finish with an undefeated regular season record.  This team took on the challenge that was given to them, they looked past what they needed to and played the best soccer they could.  They may have not been victorious on the game that they really wanted, but they will always be champions in my book.  They worked hard every day, they played with all their heart in all the games played, I watched this team come back from being down for almost 65 minutes of an 80 minute game twice and score four goals in 7.45 minutes and five goals in 12 minutes to win both games.  
"This team walks away with much more than many can even begin to realize with the leadership of these seniors. Donovan Hammer, Ryan Kruger, Lexi Mendella, Jon Blanchette, Mason Thomas, Andy Saba, Ty Kinkelaar, and Jackson Willenborg. These seniors can leave behind their legacy and contribution to a record that will long live in the history of soccer at St. Anthony. We finished 17-1-3  and I am very proud of what they accomplished on and off the field and I wish them the very best in all their endeavors they may have in the future,  I will miss each and every one of them and the team you led till the end."

Teutopolis will move on to semifinal action Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the first match of a doubleheader at Macon Meridian Sectional. The Shoes will take on Virden North Mac. The second match finds Beardstown facing Raymond Lincolnwood at 6:30. The winners will play in the sectional championship Saturday.


At Olney

Effingham High School saw its season come to a close in the Class 2A Olney Regional Saturday.

The homestanding Tigers picked up a 4-1 victory. Olney took a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute with a score by Stallard. Effingham's Alessandro Boca came back to tie the score in the 24th minute. But Olney's Walker moved the Tigers ahead 2-1 in the 34th minute.

In the second half, Olney's Walker scored again in the 10th minute and Burckhart then tallied the final goal in the 27th minute.