St. Anthony Edges T-town, EHS Claims Victory in Soccer


Published on October 7 2016 8:21 am
Last Updated on October 7 2016 8:21 am
Written by Millie Lange

"This was a night to remember," said St. Anthony Soccer Coach Eric Morales. "I stepped onto the field today at 2 p.m. to reline the field, and as I walked the field pushing the striper, I played back all of our home games and great times we had at practices. The last time we play on our field, the last time our eight seniors would play on Bulldog Field. My former coach, partner and best friend Scott Demers once said, 'You play to the fullest, to receive the fullest, and to leave the field with the fullest.'  As the game comes to time, watching everyone put up decorations, the smell of popcorn through the air and listening to the last echos of the balls as they leave the feet of the players. The Bulldogs gather around to ready themselves for what's about to be one of the biggest fights of the season."

Effingham St. Anthony played host to Teutopolis and pulled out a 3-2 victory to finish the regular season 16-0-3.

"The game started and right away T-town began to pressure our keeper, but not too long after that, eight minutes, Donovan Hammer took a corner kick and found Alex Deters on a beautiful header to put us up 1-0. We continued to pressure the Shoes, keeping the ball on the offensive side most of the half. With just seven minutes left in the game, Ryan Kruger took a pass from Deters to find himself with an open shot on goal that deflected off of a Shoe defender but still found the back of the net to put us up 2-0 right before the half ended.

"The second half started and T-town immediately put it to us, playing the best second half putting in two goals to tie the game. Both teams went back and forth fighting for another goal for the win. With five minutes left, Ryan Kruger got a flick from Moises Lemus at half field and Ryan took off on a breakaway all alone. Right before the shot, Ryan was taken down and given a penalty shot for the foul. Ryan connected on the shot, putting us up 3-2 with three minutes left.

"T-town made another run but we shut them down and came out with the 3-2 win. It was a hard fought game for both teams, and for T-town to come back and tie the game shows a lot of heart and dedication. My hat is off to Aaron Wendt and his group of players. Everyone played hard, both teams played with class and great sportsmanship. We finished as the first St. Anthony High School soccer team to ever finish the regular season undefeated.

"Well done to the Bulldogs and the seniors, this coach is very proud. Thank you to all the seniors this year, Ryan Kruger, Donovan Hammer, Lexi Mendellla, Ty Kinkelaar, Andy Saba, Jackson Willenborg, Mason Thomas and Jon Blanchette."

The Bulldogs see their first round action at regionals Tuesday at 4:30 in Teutopolis.

At Taylorville

Effingham High School traveled to Taylorville and picked up a victory Thursday.

The Hearts scored first in the opening half. Alessandro tallied a goal in the fifth minute. The Tornadoes came back on a goal by Meher in the 39th minute to knot the score at 1-1.

Effingham's Noah Mulheron scored in the fifth minute to give the Hearts the victory in the second half.

Will Starwalt had seven saves in the contest.