Another Exciting Day at the Effingham County Fair Races
Published on August 5 2014 7:00 am
Last Updated on August 6 2014 6:28 am
Written by Millie Lange
ALTAMONT -- The opening races of the day so far at the Effingham County Fair have proven to set the stage for the rest of the day's card.
In the Big 10 2-Year-Old Filly Trot, the race started without a lot of speed on the take off but ended in a flurry when Bigolwezeweddwess came on to win by a nose for driver Dennis Gardner. Bands One Eye Love was first away and led by three lengths. Bigolwezeweddwess stayed in second but came on strong at the turn and ended up winning in 2:10 2/5 in a crowd pleaser.
The next race wasn't quite as exciting as Newton's J.D. Finn took Captain Greedy to the victory by a huge margin in the Big 10 2-Year-Old Colt Trot. Captain Greedy crossed the finish line with a time of 2:03 3/5.
Michael Rogers, who's in the running for the driver's award, took Watchbellepace to the lead in the Big 10 2-Year-Old Filly Pace with the other three horses nose-to-tail in single file down the backstretch. They came three wide with a 16th of a mile to go and Watchbellepace took the win in 2:01 3/5 while Syd's Lollipop and Lynrae Jazmin finished in a deadheat for second.
In the fourth race, the Big 10 3-Year-Old Colt Pace, Dane May behind Dune Dude trailed until the half then took the lead and opened it to seven lengths past the three-quarter mile marker. Dune Dude ended up posting his seventh victory in 13 starts and his fifth in a row. Dune Dude, who was injured and got to the races late last year, finished in 1:59 4/5, sailing to a 28.2 last quarter.
The Filly & Mare Pace, Division I turned into an exciting finish. Tj's April Angel went to the early lead by two on the backstretch. Horses were stacked up behind the leader. Uneek Shuttle challenged around the final turn and it was up in the air down the homestretch until Uneek Shuttle pulled it out in 2:02 1/5. Dakota Birch, who co-owns with Eric May of Shumway, guided Uneek Shuttle to the win.
The final race of the day, the Filly & Mare Pace, Division II, was a lesson in driving. Yankee Road moved to the lead over Mach Made Her, the favorite in the race. Night Hostess then moved into the lead and Mach Made Her had no place to go near the three quarter mile marker. Gabrielle Nicole led then Mac Made Her went three wide for driver Lisa Avenatti and moved between horses down the homestretch. The race ended in a photo finish. Avenatti's guidance through the homestretch proved to win out as Mach Made Her claimed the victory in 2:05 4/5.
Freddie Patton Jr. is leading the driver's standings with 15 points. Races continue today with a 1 p.m. post time.
Monday's Harness Racing
Big 10 2-Year-Old Filly Trot
1. Bigolwezeweddwess (Dennis Gardner), 2. Bands One Eye Love (Vince Espinosa), 3. Kickinitwithkohler (Jerome Daniels), 4. Fox Valley Dorcie (Ladarrius Whitaker)
Scratched -- Shez So Sassy
Time -- :33 2/5, 1:06 2/5, 1:39 4/5, 2:10 2/5.
Big 10 2-Year-Old Colt Trot
1. Captain Greedy (J.D. Finn), 2. Milo (Dennis Gardner), 3. Wilber Gram (Thomas Graham Jr.), 4. Honey Creek Band (Jack James)
Time -- :32 1/5, 1:02 4/5, 1:33 2/5, 2:03 3/5
Big 10 3-Year-Old Filly Pace
1. Watchbellepace (Micahel Rogers), 2. (deadheat) Syd's Lollipop (Freddie Patton Jr.), Lynrae Jazmin (Kelcey Perymond), 4. Fox Valley Tess (Jerome Daniels)
Time -- :31 3/5, 1:02 3/5, 1:32 4/5, 2:01 3/5.
Big 10 3-Year-Old Colt Pace
1. Dune Dude (Dane May), 2. Tower Power (Freddie Patton Jr.), 3. Marty Rucker (Michael Rogers), 4. Orphan Lad (Freddie Patton Jr.)
Time -- :30 4/5, 1:01 4/5, 1:31 2/5, 1:59 4/5.
Filly & Mare Pace, Division I
1. Uneek Shuttle (Dakota Birch), 2. Tj's April Angel (Jerome Daniels), 3. First to Arrive (Eddie Finn), 4. Miss Kelley Lynne (Harold Finn Jr.), 5. Towne'sbrightlight (Wyatt Avenatti), 6. Bc's Golden Girl (Ladarrius Whitaker)
Time -- :31, 1:02 3/5, 1:33, 2:02 1/5.
Filly & Mare Pace, Division II
1. Mach Made Her (Lisa Avenatti), 2. Gabrielle Nicole (Richard S. Finn), 3. Welcome To Walmac (Michael Johnson), 4. Yankee Road (Dakota Birch), 5. Night Hostess (Gerald McIntyre)
Time -- :32, 1:02, 1:33 3/5, 2:05 4/5.
Tuesday, August 5 Schedule
2 & 3 Year-Old Open Pace, Division I
1. Star Gram (Thomas Graham Jr.), 2. Perfectly Clear (Kyle Wilfong), 3. Dakota Snow (Michael White), 4. Kay's Legend (Kyle Husted), 5. Major Mayhem (Michael Johnson)
2 & 3 Year-Old Open Pace, Division II
1. Video Star (no driver listed), 2. Togetherforever (Michael Johnson), 3. Teaka Gram (Thomas Graham Jr.), 4. Going Sumwhere (Darla Martin), 5. Rds Master Revrac (Paul Cavett)
3-Year-Old Open Trot
1. Fancy Feet Ferge (Paul Cavett), 2. Dancinginthebreeze (David Fagan), 3. Vin (Thomas Graham Jr.), 4. Morgans Majestic (Ladarrius Whitaker), 5. St. Ellan's Fire (Ladarrius Whitaker)
Non-winners $7,500 Lifetime Pace
1. Ava Destruction (Darla Martin), 2. Martytakesthestage (Hugh Meek Jr.), 3. Hillcrest Dynamite (Paul Cavett), 4. Go Run N Tellthat (no driver listed), 5. Sugarcreekannie (Dakota Birch)
ICF Maiden Trot 6-Year-Old and Under
1. Booyah Jack (Jamaica Patton), 2. At Rick (Darla Martin), 3. Beginning Balance (Kyle Husted), 4. Decisive (Eric Collier), 5. Stylish Big Guy (Jamaica Patton), 6. Fox Valley Chile (Wyatt Avenatti), 7. Teela Girl (Stacey DeRousse)