Prison Sentence Handed To Man Found Guilty of Defrauding Cubs


Published on January 10 2017 6:11 am
Last Updated on January 10 2017 6:12 am


An 18-month prison sentence has been handed a man found guilty of defrauding the Chicago Cubs out of the team's cut of revenues from his rooftop club near Wrigley Field.

R. Marc Hamid was found guilty in July of multiple counts of mail fraud and illegal bank structuring for falsifying attendance records at the Skybox on Sheffield. The former co-owner of the club was accused of hiding over $1 million in revenue to avoid paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties to the Cubs and taxes.

In handing down the sentence Monday, U.S. District Judge Thomas Durkin said Hamid "had no reason to go out and commit these crimes."

Before he was sentenced, the 48-year-old Hamid sobbed as he apologized to the Cubs as well as for the "collateral damage" he caused his family.

Max Scherzer Finished Season With Injured Finger

NL Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer revealed Monday that he pitched at the end of last season with an injured finger on his throwing hand and now will skip the World Baseball Classic.

The Washington Nationals initially announced Monday on Twitter that their star right-hander has a stress fracture in the knuckle of his right ring finger, without offering any details of the problem. The team said the ongoing rehabilitation will keep Scherzer off the U.S. team at the WBC, which is in March, but he is still "expected to be a full participant" at spring training, which starts next month.

From Aug. 20 through Oct. 2, a span that covered his last nine starts of the regular season for the NL East champion Nationals, Scherzer went 8-0 with a 2.97 ERA and 73 strikeouts in 60⅔ innings. In the NL Division Series against the Dodgers, Washington lost both of Scherzer's starts, in Games 1 and 5.

He said Monday that during the season, he and the Nationals' medical staff figured rest would help resolve the issue with his finger.

But, Scherzer explained, the symptoms "had not dissipated" by last month, so he underwent a second MRI exam, which revealed the stress fracture. He is currently undergoing treatment.