FEMA Extends Disaster Assistance Signup Deadline
Published on January 23 2014 3:25 pm
Last Updated on January 23 2014 8:17 pm
Written by Greg Sapp
At the request of the state of Illinois, Nov. 17 tornado survivors now have until Monday, Feb. 3 to apply to FEMA for disaster assistance.
Registering is easy and usually takes no more than 20 minutes. There are three ways survivors can apply for assistance from FEMA:
• Go online to DisasterAssistance.gov.
• Visit m.fema.gov from a smartphone or tablet.
• Dial 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are operated from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
FEMA grants can help to cover eligible disaster-related expenses, including:
• Temporary housing for homeowners and renters;
• Home repairs and rebuilding;
• Repair or replacement of lost personal property, including vehicles; and
• Other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs.