Fireworks Safety Tips from Fire Department
Published on June 28 2012 10:26 am
Last Updated on June 28 2012 10:28 am
Written by Greg Sapp
With unusually dry conditions in place this year the Effingham Fire Department urges residents to be careful with fireworks and outdoor burning this 4th of July holiday season.
The following safety tips should be followed when using fireworks or burning outdoors:
Fireworks Safety Tips (Use Fireworks Responsibly!)
• Use fireworks in a safe area away from dry fields, forests and buildings.
• Allow a minimum clear radius on a hard, flat, level surface, (not grass) of 30ft. for fountains and other ground based items and 100 yards for any aerial product.
• Carefully follow label directions and always have adult supervision.
• Light one firework at a time and handle lighters safely.
• Never point or throw fireworks at people or animals.
• Keep a working fire extinguisher, garden hose, and a bucket of water nearby.
• Water down the surrounding area where the fireworks display will be held.
• After the celebration ends, observe the area where fireworks were used to make sure everything is safe before leaving.
• Use a flashlight, never a lantern or other flame producing device to see the fuse while lighting.
Outdoor Burning Safety Tips
• Be aware when grilling on wooden decks or in grass.
• Keep water handy in case of fire.
• Dispose of smoking materials properly.
Have a Safe and Happy 4th of July!