Saturday Storm Leads to Mattoon House Fire
Published on July 22 2013 9:42 am
Last Updated on July 22 2013 9:42 am
Written by Greg Sapp
A Saturday afternoon storm was a contributing factor in a fire that did major damage to a house in Mattoon.
Firefighters were called to the home of Vaughn and Nancy Page on South 24th Street, east of Mattoon High School, at 2:20pm. A tree limb fell during the storm on the electrical service leading to the Page home, causing the service to short circuit. Firefighters say the entire home was energized due to its metal siding and fires broke out throughout the residence. Severe fire damage was done to the north bedroom and smoke and heat damage resulted throughout the structure.
Some minor heat damage was done to the vinyl siding on the house next door.
Two Mattoon firefighters were evaluated at the scene after they were shocked when their ladder made contact with the siding on the home, but then continued their work. Mr. Page was also shocked during the incident, but was unharmed.
Firefighters had the fire under control within 30 minutes, but were on scene for four hours to knock down hot spots.