Mason Man Burned in Lawn Mower Fire; Garage Destroyed


Published on May 31 2017 7:57 am
Last Updated on May 31 2017 7:57 am
Written by Greg Sapp

A Mason man suffered burns when his lawn mower caught fire Tuesday evening.

Steve Case was working on his mower about 7pm at his home on the south edge of Mason. 

Case's wife, Barb, said when Steve hit the starter, an arc occurred that ignited a pan of residual fluids beneath the mower and the fire burned both of Case's lower legs. Barb said Steve's safety training kicked in, though; he remembered to stop, drop and roll, and that put out the fire.

The fire spread to the Case's two-story garage and destroyed the building, but neighbors used garden hoses to water down the nearby house and spare it any damage. The house is only about 25 feet away from the garage. The neighbors also got Case's motorcycle out of the garage, but a golf cart, four-wheeler and other items were destroyed along with the building.

Edgewood Bi-County Fire Department responded to the scene with assistance from other area fire companies. Steve Case was taken for treatment.