Lightning Strikes Hog Barn

Print

Published on May 5 2012 8:03 am
Last Updated on July 14 2013 12:07 pm
Written by Greg Sapp

Teutopolis firefighters had an early start to their Saturday after lightning struck a hog barn.

The call came at 4:06am to the Rod Thoele residence at 21568 1500th Avenue. 

Teutopolis Fire Chief Tim McMahon believes lightning struck a 30X80 foot hog barn, and the barn is a total loss.  However, there were no hogs in the barn.

Firefighters were able to stop the fire from reaching surrounding buildings and a propane tank.

Teutopolis firefighters were on scene for 2-1/2 hours.  They were assisted by firefighters from Montrose and Dieterich.