Toledo Man Burned in Tractor Fire


Published on June 21 2016 1:47 pm
Last Updated on June 21 2016 1:58 pm
Written by Greg Sapp

A Toledo man was burned in a tractor fire Monday afternoon.

Ron Starwalt was working inside a tractor on a bee plot in the village of Toledo during the noon hour when flames came from the tractor. Toledo Fire Chief Chuck Layton said Starwalt was working on a plot of ground within the village. Layton said the flames shot up around the tractor so Starwalt couldn't get out of the unit. Finally, a window of the tractor blew out due to the heat and Starwalt got out.

Layton said Starwalt suffered burns to both of his arms. He was taken to Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center in Coles County.

Layton said they don't know why the tractor caught on fire. He said the tractor, which is owned by Starwalt's employer, Paddrick Incorporated, was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters reached the scene.

Firefighters were on scene about an hour.